Friday, December 12, 2008

A Child Called IT


This was one of the worst books that I'd ever read. Yet at the same time, it made a permanent and lasting effect on me.

If you're not into the depressingly horrible sorts of books, do not pick this one up. All of my Mexican friends back in Newton told me that I should read it because they said it was one of those books that you cannot put down. And I've got to admit, they were most definately right, but for the worst reasons. Like, the only questions running through my mind while I was reading was 'Is he going to live through this?' and 'What kind of sick parents are these?' It makes you really grateful for your mother and father because this is an autobiography about one of the worst child-abuse cases in America - written by Dave Peltzer.

If you do not have a strong stomach, I fervently suggest that you do not read this. The book and it's horrifyingly surreal details made my stomach do flips and clench up in pain. I could not put the book down folks because it would've just been so wrong to do so. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but the first time I read this book was in fifth grade. The second was a few weeks ago at the public library. I stayed there for seven hours before I finished all 148 pages of it, pale and nauseous. It was just as bad as the first time.

It reminds me of Anne Frank to a certain degree because of the autobiographic relations. However, I'm sure you can relate to Dave Pelzer more than you can Anne Frank because this was much more recent - not to mention in our country.

I hated the book for making me gag and being so depressing, but the author uses good fluency and words. It's a good book if you look only at the quality of the writing and I think it's a narrative that you should read at least once before graduating college. But seriously - it's a really grim book. If you're looking for a fun easy read, this is not a novel you'd turn to.

::Gretchen::

6 comments:

Forsberg said...

Gretchen; you won't believe this but i heard about it in third grade from my uncle. i really do think i should read this for the reasons you listed. thanks for reminding me!
j.k.

Forsberg said...

I remember this book. I never read it, but I read parts for tests. There is a part where his mother burns him by placing him on the stove or something like that, correct?

Honestly, it sounds very interesting and I'd love to read it. Though I may end up curled in a ball (because, trust me, I am way worse off than you; I even had an episode just hearing about blood once before), I couldn't put such a book down. Not because of the guilt, but because of the..disgusting sense of entertainment. Certainly negative, I assure you.

- Kasey

Forsberg said...

J.K,
I won't say that I warned you so. It's a thrillingly freaky book, I will admit and it made me twitch various times in school as I've so earnestly described in my blog. =) Good luck with your reading.

::Gretchen::

Forsberg said...

Kasey,
A lot of people have heard of the book because it's pretty popular, though it's more of a elementary read in my opinion. Not context-wise, of course, but literary level-wise.
And to answer your question, yes there was the (almost) burning part. That was one of the parts I remember most vividly because it was his first win, according to Dave.
I wish you luck with reading it, because from what I've read, you need it. :)

::Gretchen::

Forsberg said...

There is no way that i would ever be able to read that type of book. Once, i was reading the book Forged by Fire (which i do not reccomend to anyone)and it came to a part where a little girl was being sexually abused. My stomach would not let me read it. (This next part is not an exaggeration). My stomach lurched and I started shaking so hard I almost dropped the book before i could put it down. I actually started tearing inaudibly and i had to get up and pace around and walk it off. That is not a feeling i am willing to have again no matter how many people recommend the book to me.

-Nathan

Forsberg said...

Gretchen,

I'd have to say, of all the the posts, including mine, yours was the first I've seen warning everyone NOT to read a book. Due to your honest opinion, I am urging to begin this book. LOL. :) It's not that I enjoy reading horror books, but as you mentioned, well-written biographies effect me deeply for a very long time. A terrifying book with a list of important life lessons is worth it, don't you think ?

-amy!