Sunday, December 7, 2008

Boy Finds Dog in Sea


Book_♥; Thunder From The Sea
Author_♥; Joan Hiatt Harlow
Pages_♥; 243

In this story, the main character goes by Tom Campbell, a 13 year old orphan. Tom has been in the orphanage since the age of 3. His only dream was to have a family and a dog of his own. Half of this dream is finally fulfilled when Tom is sent to Back o' the Moon Island to live with a fisherman and his wife to work. The couple go by Enoch and Fiona, and are very friendly. He is welcomed by a clean soothing room with a nice view of the ocean. On his first fishing trip with Enoch, a severe storm erupts, and on their way home, Tom finds a dog lost in the sea. They rescue the dog and Tom names it Thunder, from the thunder streak scar on his chest. This is probably where the book recieved its title, Thunder From The Sea by Joan Hiatt Harlow. He soon finds himself cherishing the dog. He takes care of the dog and the dog follows him everywhere he grows. Meanwhile, their neighbor's child, Bert, is making things difficult for Tom by bullying him constantly. Soon, Enoch's wife becomes pregnant, and Thunder's owner is identified. Tom is worried that with the new baby, the couple might not want him anymore, and he will lose his first dog. Thunder's owner comes, and Thunder has to choose his owner. Read this book to find out whether this book finishes off happily, or depressingly. This story will for sure change the way you think, and make you see things differently. Now, when I hear orphan, I remember how Tom feels about moving into a new place and how he falt like an outcast.

- amy !

3 comments:

Forsberg said...

I read that book once a few years ago. It is won of the most emotional and best books I have ever read. It was also a surprisingly quick read. I strongly suggest it to anyone who is looking for a quick read for the 25 book campaign but i warn you that you will have trouble putting it down.

-Nathan

Forsberg said...

Nathan,

You are absolutely right. Actually, that's the reason why I chose this book. I've read it once before, so I reread it because of the time shortage. I'm not much of an animal lover, but this book was interesting for me. Also, could you explain what you meant when you said, "...but i warn you that you will have trouble putting it down."? And thanks for remembering to put your name. It helps... a lot. :)

-amy !

Forsberg said...

When i said it would be hard to put it down I meant that even though its a quick read its sooooo good that its really hard to stop reading it and do something else. I remember when my brother got it at the book fair a few years ago. I thought it my be a good read so I intended to read a few pages of it................. 3 hours later I was 3/4 of the way done and I was hungry and I really needed to go to the bathroom but I didnt want to. Eventually my bladder won and I had to stop reading. After that short break I never picked up the book again because i was tired of reading it. I wasnt tired of reading it because it was a bad book. Iwas tired because I had been reading it for so long. The moral of this patheticly entertaining story is t opace yourself when you find a good book.

-Nathan