Sunday, November 30, 2008

"Bad Things Come in Threes" ; Proved Wrong


Book_♥; Jumping The Scratch
Author_♥; Sarah Weeks
Pages_
♥; 167

The cover of this book was what attracted me. It was bright red, with a big button on it, and I thought it stood out. The title, Jumping The Scratch, had no meaning to me because I didn't know what it meant. When I saw who the author was, I knew the book was worth reading. Sarah Weeks was also the author of the sensational So B. It. I've never read So B. It, but from reading the plot, I learned that this author sure writes the most interesting, realistic story lines. Anyways, about "Jumping The Scratch" - the main character is named Jamie Reardon. Everyone has heard of bad things coming in threes, but after Jamie's cat dies, his father leaves, and his aunt encounters memory loss from a cherry-factory accident, another fatal incident causes Jamie to suffer. He spend days figuring how to forget the incident that is haunting him. Jamie collects empty cherry cans to stack around him at night so that when he comes, Jamie can wake up and escape. No one knows of this incident but himself, and he carries it with him everywhere. Meanwhile, Jamie and his mother are trying to find the "magic trigger", the object that will save his aunt's memory forever. The ending is when I found out what the secretive incident was, and along with that, what the magic trigger was- although, surprisingly, it was right in front of my face the whole time. The power of memory is strongly enhanced in this memorable novel. :)


- amy !

4 comments:

Forsberg said...

Hey, dude, I've read this book, but it was way back, like in fifth grade. It was the book with the Red Button on it right?

Well, if it was, then I have to say that you're right. It was a very deep and heartfelt book. The ending was surprising to me because author's that write books for kids our age usually don't touch that subject. (I won't say what cause I'm not a spoiler :P) But I really liked the book, even though it freaked me out. C: I love Sarah Weeks because of her unique topics. She's awesome, right?

I love her other book So B. It, too. It totally screwed with my emotions. It made me super happy, then super sad, then super surprised. But because of that, it was an amazing novel to read.

::Gretchen::

Forsberg said...

If you like books that end in awesome revelations that had been staring you in the face the whole time I have the perfect book for you. It is called Star Wars MedStar 1: battle surgeons followed by Medstar 2: jedi healer. Dont shoot it down right away just because its a Star Wars book. It has many things in it that are strongly modeled after the real world. It is about surgeons and their life in a MASH on a war filled planet. It has very realistic military based parts. It is a sci-fi action with a little bit of mystery and a little bit of romance all in one book.
-nathan

Forsberg said...

Nathan,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a strong feeling that the book you chose has too strong of a vocabulary use for me. I'm working on my vocabulary right now, and I wouldn't understand the book anyway. After time, I will for sure give "Star Wars MedStar 1: battle surgeons followed by Medstar 2: jedi healer " a chance. ;)

- amy!

Forsberg said...

Gretchen,

Yes, that's the one. X) I agree, I had a feeling throughout the book, and my hypothesis was proved correct at the end. I was sort of freaked out, but after a while, I realized that the author was just trying to explain reality, and supported the victims. Sarah Weeks IS a wonderful writer, although this is the first I've read from her. There was this one line that jumped in this book, though. The line was:

"...it chopped up the words like cabbage for slaw and made it sound like she was speaking Chinese."

Jamie used this to describe what he heard when his teacher spoke. Her style of writing is truly unique.

-amy!